The victory roll is an iconic piece of Americana. Popular during the 40’s it continues to be used in outfits today to give it a vintage spark. I wanted to branch out to some more ‘vintage’ hairstyles for my dolls to give them that timeless feeling. This style in particular was a bit more difficult than what I’m used to since it requires sewing to keep the hair in place.
This is actually entry one in my new line of doll wigs. That’s right; I’m opening an Etsy shop, y’all! I’m planning to open up shop by late January, early February, and I’m planning on selling the wigs I’ve made tutorials for as well as an exclusive line of vintage styled wigs. I’ll release more information about the store once the opening date gets closer. For now, enjoy a sneak peak at my new wig line!
I glued the first half of the part, and the lower half of the hair like usual.
I glued all around the head, like usual.
For the second half, I wanted to have the hair facing up, so it’s easier to style. My biggest worry about the hair was the fact that when achieving this style, the hair is split in half where the top part is the rolls. I employed a sort of part method to hide the glued parts of the hair.
Pull the hair up, and roll it up against the head. I sprayed the roll with Aquanet Hairspray and held it in place until it dried. It’s a little hard to see, which I didn’t realize until I was trying to get some good pictures, so for my future posts, I’m going to refrain from using black yarn if the wig’s really complicated.
Then I began to sew. When doing a Victory Roll Hairstyle, bobby pins and hairspray are used to keep the hair in place, but since there weren’t any bobby pins that would fit on the Monster High or Ever After High dolls, I just started sewing. Besides, it’s cheaper and I can glue the string down to keep it in place.
The fishing line is going to act like a bobby pin, so sew the under part of the roll to keep it in place.
Here’s the first roll. It looks really lumpy and weird, which is disappointing, but this is my first time making a victory roll, so I’ll definitely make sure I perfect the art of hair styling before I open my shop.
This second roll looks a lot better, but once I started spraying and sewing, it got messed up which was disappointing as well.
After sewing the other side, I glue down the ends, and place it back on the head so it can dry flush with the cap.
And… oof. It’s probably not too bad of an attempt for my first Victory Roll, but it could definitely be better.
That’s why I didn’t make this a tutorial 😛
I’ll be posting more vintage hairstyles as time passes, so be on the lookout for those!